[THIN] Re: OT - Internet explorer kiosk mode

  • From: "Bruce Heavner" <bheavner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 09:06:40 -0600

I just did this, and there's a couple components.  I used a script to
launch IE without the menus, and then published the script.  I'll send
it to you off list - if anybody else wants it let me know.  The script
only goes so far though, it uses VB to create an IE window without menus
and such.  I then used a policy (local machine policy in this case, but
GPO would work) to restrict a lot of the menus and such.  I set it to
show some of the common buttons, since users don't usually know keyboard
shortcuts.  To restrict where they can browse, I set IE (through the
policy) to use fakeproxy:80 for all internet connections, and then added
the sites that I want them to use to the "Do not use proxy for these
addreses" list.  So, if they try to go to *.mycompany.com, it's in the
list and it will work.  If thy hit *.msn.com, it'll try to use the proxy
and fail. =20

Bruce Heavner
RapidApp
Sr. Network Engineer