[THIN] Re: OT: Frame vs ATM

  • From: "Tim Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:20:20 -0400

In reality, Frame Relay is carried over an ATM backbone in almost all cases.
Frame is only used for the local pipe to the first switch.  So it really
comes down to a costing (and commitments) on that local loop piece, and
hardware you need to change out at your end, - versus the pumped up
guarantee. So also look at cost up increasing your FR CIR when you do the
analysis.  You might also run a test to see if you are really affected by
the CIR that you have.   You might be surprised.

Tim Mangan

. a former President of the Frame Relay Forum

  _____