[THIN] Re: Compaq aggravation

  • From: "Thomas, Jeremy" <Jeremy.Thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:53:52 +0200

Please excuse my rather dry sense of humour.

My experience of Compaq Wintel servers includes working for Compaq, and f=
or 2 sites that have had in excess of 700 Compaq Wintel servers. One of t=
hese was for IBM global services, and they tried (and failed) to convince=
 us that the IBM servers were as reliable and as manageable as the Compaq=
 servers. I've also worked with Dell servers, and I've not been impressed=
 with the ease of management or the quality of support from Dell.

So I advocate an HP/Compaq only policy and put the effort into negotiatin=
g prices with HP rather than playing one supplier off against another, or=
 (heaven forbid) a mixed server policy. And I don't beleive that you can =
objectively evaluate a full set of server families in a reasonable timefr=
ame - there's just too much proprietory technology involved to make it co=
st effective.

In short, Compaq will never be the wrong decision, but for similar reason=
s, it may not be the only right one.

The one thing that is definately wrong is to buy an IBM if you're a Compa=
q shop. There's too much overhead in duplicating the management infrastru=
cture. The right decision has always got to be to keep things simple, and=
 that has to be a single supplier.

Regards,

Jeremy Thomas

From: Jeff Malczewski [mailto:jmalczewski@xxxxxxxx]

"Buy an IBM??    :D"
=3D
***
Disclaimer:=3D20
This electronic transmission and any files attached to it are strictly=3D=
20
confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you are not=3D20 t=
he
intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy or take any action in
reliance of this transmission. If you have received this=3D20 transmissio=
n in
error, please notify the sender by return and delete the transmission.
Although the sender endeavors to maintain a computer virus free network, =
the
sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not=
 be
liable for any damages=3D20 resulting from any virus transmitted.=3D20 Th=
ank
You.
=3D
***
This Week's Sponsor - Tarantella Secure Global Desktop Tarantella Secure
Global Desktop Terminal Server Edition Free Terminal Service Edition
software with 2 years maintenance.
http://www.tarantella.com/ttba
the below link:
http://www.tarantella.com/ttba
***
Disclaimer:=20
This electronic transmission and any files attached to it are strictly=20
confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you are not=20
the intended addressee, you must not disclose, copy or take any
action in reliance of this transmission. If you have received this=20
transmission in error, please notify the sender by return and delete
the transmission.  Although the sender endeavors to maintain a
computer virus free network, the sender does not warrant that this
transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages=20
resulting from any virus transmitted.=20
Thank You.
***
http://www.tarantella.com/ttba