[texbirds] green backed ad male rufous or allen's

  • From: Matt Heindel <mtheindel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 10:59:31 -0500

I am on the road and do not have the information on migration of green-backed
Rufous Hummingbirds handy, nor the specifics on density variation, but I'll
cover some topics at a broad level. And, as I said, anyone can play this game
any way they want. You want to call them X, call them X. But, these are more
philosophical matters than scientific ones.
But first, seriously, Gray-breasted Martin is considered to be a comparable
situation to a green-backed Rufous? If the comment is hyperbolic, fine-
anything to make a point, I suppose. But, If anyone thinks these situations are
the same, c'mon. With Purple Martins, we have hundreds of thousands every year
(or is it a million?). So, how many tens of millions over the past couple of
decades? How many Gray-breasted Martins? Ever? Without doing the research, I
would be surprised if there were even ten thousand of our hummers in question
in the past couple of decades (excluding west TX). So, the scale is so off the
charts it is just an unnecessary diversion. One thing that is true is that im
Gray-breasted Martin would be insanely difficult to detect. Given the default
by some astronomical advantage to PUMA,(millions to one) however, it would do
more to confuse the literature by clogging the airwaves with "martin" sp.

So, let's understand we can interpret this differently and how one sees it
might be dictated by what their goal is.  I won't enter a debate about Type 1
and Type 2 errors as I ran out of steam on that topic ten years ago. Suffice it
to say we each have a philosophy along a continuum of what most likely reflects
what really is present on one end, versus the other end that says good records
might be lost in an effort to not include bad ones. No right or wrong, no need
for the hyper-emotion that seems to thrive in this world. Just different
desires, both of which should be included in any publications so the reader can
understand how records were included or excluded, so they might better put the
data through their own prism.

I do not think anyone has suggested green-backed Rufous Hummingbirds are CA
breeders, which means they are migrating a decent distance. Given their
migration, why wouldn't a bird be able to get to TX? Their migration is
typically much longer than that of Allen's, and although not a linear equation,
the length of migration might be an assist towards increasing wayward movement.
And, isn't it a given that Allen's makes up a smaller percentage of coastal
records, compared to Rufous. So, just rejecting the possibility of its
occurrence is something I do not share. I have never been a fan of the concept
that since a bird has not been recorded, it deserves no serious consideration.
Both of these species are low density migrants and/or vagrants to coastal TX.
There are great articles (e.g., Birding) on the explosion of hummers along the
TX and LA coast and it seems to be a rare event where humans might be providing
assistance to birds, and thus I think we are in the middle of a chapter that is
still being crafted. Allen's is not as rare as once thought (or perhaps not as
rare as it once WAS), so counting all green-backed adults as Allen's is not
going to significantly upend the understanding of the distribution. If people
want to do that, fine. But, don't take the attitude that this is the only
"right" philosophy. If you share my view that the hummer numbers along the
coast (in fall and winter) are changing in our lifetimes, then we ought to keep
our eyes open for what can actually be proven.

As for this green-backed Rufous being restricted as a migrant to CA, I don't
know, but don't think so. I had an ad male with what I thought was a green-back
in SE AZ one late July, but it turned out there were rufous flecks in it. Yet,
easily 90% of the back was green and when I was looking at it through bins, I
assumed it was an Allen's.  (What got me was I thought the outer rects were
thick when it flicked its tail at the feeder, so I spent some time on it.) You
would have to have great looks to realize my AZ bird was not an Allen's and if
one accepts green-backed Rufous as Allen's, it will inevitably include
something like the bird I reference. That will not bother some people; but, it
would bother me. And remember, although birders (indeed, all humans) like
things in a binary fashion, the amount of green on the back of an ad male
Rufous is a continuum, so making a catch all is easy, but there will be some
that will not fit nicely.

A green-backed Rufous would be an excellent find, indeed, but throwing
everything into the Allen's bin will do nothing to help our knowledge. When I
see the insane list of rarities found in TX, the notion of a green backed
Rufous is not outlandish at all. I read the banding statistics and rationale
for the decision to call all of these birds Allen's, and, although I don't lose
sleep over it, I think it is simplistic, at least as it is handled today. if
the day comes when there is a green backed Rufous, what do you do with all the
green backed birds not identified by outer rects? Are they still going to be
Allen's? If you do not note the level of detail used in the identification, no
one will even know which records might be in question.

We had a different but related issue in CA, but this time with two vagrants:
Yellow Wagtail and Eastern Yellow Wagtail. All records have been for Eastern
YW, which was not particularly important until the species were split. At least
half of the birds are not identified beyond this species-pair, and that
identification is really difficult with ims. I had done a lot of museum work
(for one of the many articles that remain unwritten……) and presented the
problem to the committee. So, we decided to put an asterisk next to the species
denoting the caveat that the congener might not always be eliminated. If a non
Eastern Yellow Wag (or even Citrine Wag in some cases) ever does occur, half of
the records will then have to be treated as "sp" not knowing which taxa was
involved. That is a different situation than with the hummers in question, but
that is a possible solution for these birds. What would be so painful about
denoting which Allen's are identified on back color (as opposed to banded
birds, those where r5 was studied, etc?) It is not as if we are overrun with
such reports. Over time, we'll be a lot smarter than we are today, but by
collecting more information and resisting an easy way out, we might accelerate
that learning curve. Alas, I fully expect the momentum of the green backed
Allen's bus to prevail- good enough.

Matt Heindel
Fair Oaks Ranch, TX