[texbirds] Re: Black-throated Gray Warbler

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Philip.Barbour@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 11:09:39 -0500

Apologies for repeatedly kicking a hornet's nest, but must playback be
used so casually?

-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Barbour, Philip - NRCS, Fort Worth,
TX <Philip.Barbour@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Saturday, 24 August, 2013, 0330 pm: I watched a female Black-throated Gray
> Warbler foraging in Ashe juniper trees in NW Austin.
> I got very good, close looks of this somewhat rare (for Central Texas)
> western warbler.  I was in a friend's (Paula Shaw) backyard casually imitating
> an Eastern Screech Owl when this bird flew in.  As this was a lifer for me, I
> asked Paula to bring a book so I could check what
> I recognized as a warbler unknown to me.  We played call notes from her iPad
> and the bird came back in and gave both of us definitive
> looks at an unexpected migrant.
> This was on private land in a gated community (Golf Vista Drive, River Place
> Blvd, near the Overlook).  Coordinates are 14R 0609886, 3360485 at 267m (~801
> ft).
> Philip
> Philip J. Barbour, Ph.D.,Certified Wildlife Biologist (r)|Central Region
> Biologist
> ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX, LA, AR, MO, IA, MN, WI, IL, IN, MI
> USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service|Central National Technology
> Support Center
> 501 West Felix Street, Building 23|Fort Worth, Texas 76115
> Office:(817) 509-3225| Fax:(817) 509-3336|iPhone:(817) 320-2095
> Email:  philip.barbour@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> [[Use this link to access the USDA Home Page]]<http://www.usda.gov/>
>

> This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for
> the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the
> use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and
> subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have
> received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email
> immediately.

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain
Big Bend Birds & Nature - http://www.bigbendnature.com