[texbirds] Re: Blucher Park, Corpus

  • From: Fred Collins <fcndc@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx" <spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 07:44:29 -0500

It is my understanding that the green-backed Rufous form has never been
documented in Texas. If memory serves me it has not been documented outside
California where in a small area it may represent 5 percent of a local
population.

Therefore suggesting green backed adult Selasphorus are not Allen's is
suggesting a rare or accidental occurrence instead of a regular occurring
species.

Would you have us start reporting all immature Purple Martins as Martin species
because Grey-breasted HAS been recorded in Texas but in a roost of 100000 I did
not conclusively ID all immatures as Purple.

Until a green-backed Rufous is found in Texas or other SE states I do not think
they should be seriously considered.

Immature birds are a completely different matter.

Fred Collins
Waller

Fred
Sent from my iPhone