[texbirds] Re: Blucher Park, Corpus

  • From: Graham Floyd <spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Matt Heindel <mtheindel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 07:16:01 -0500

I want to thank Matt Heindel for his reply.  A lot of information packed in
there that I probably wouldn't have gotten had my post not been so terribly
vague.
The bird in question was a male, and it's back was green, with the back of
its tail rufous creeping slightly up into the lower-back.  Like in the
Sibley illustration of male Allen's & the green-backed Rufous male.

Questions I have that may not have answers (yet), are:

-Do these 5% of green-backed Rufous males occur in a particular geographic
area, or are they equally likely to occur anywhere? I think I saw a video
pointing out they follow the same migration routes year after year, so even
in migration do they occur on certain routes and not others?

-While several Allen's and numerous Rufous were being banded last winter at
a private-Houston residence (the Williams perhaps?), there was some comment
regarding the molt phase of Allen's and Rufous Hummingbirds allowing
easy visual (vs in-hand) separation at that particular time-of-year.  My
question thus becomes: Are there seasons when only Allen's have green-backs?

Thanks Matt for sharing your knowledge.  This is why texbirds as a forum
can never be replaced despite the plethora of other sites.

Graham Floyd,
San Antonio