[texbirds] Re: green backed ad male rufous or allen's

  • From: "Arlie Cooksey" <cooksey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <acridotheres.tristis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 16:00:51 -0500

Mike,

It certainly appears that your bird is in the "safe zone" outside
the controversial green-backed Allen's/Rufous male controversy.
But maybe someone else has a different idea. It sure looks like
your bird is a Rufous with some green in the back. They are not
all that rare. Also, the rufous coloring in the back is very bright,
not brownish-rufous you will see in most of the Allen's photos
on the Internet.

Here is a link to a simple study of birds with partially green backs..
http://www.pacifier.com/~mpatters/bird/humm/HUMMREPORT.html
This is from Oregon, so not sure how relative this might be
to Texas birds, but it appears that Rufous with 20-40% green in
the back is not all that unusual. However... Pyle writes that Allen's
adult males can have up to 40% rufous. I guess that's why we
call it a work-in-progress.

The controversy at hand, of course, involves the question of abundance
of completely or almost-completely green-backed Rufous adult males.
And Matt has certainly offered some insightful thoughts on that topic.

Mel Cooksey
Corpus Christi