[texbirds] Re: eBird's position on documentation

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:03:31 -0500

Well,  I know that I will never, ever forgive Mary Gustafson for
questioning my report of 10 Greater Flamingos on the Norias division.  My
report should have stood on it merits.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Steve Gast <segast23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I find it enjoyable to find and submit something that gets flagged. I
> don't look for these on purpose but do get a kick out of finding something
> out of the ordinary. I have made mistakes in data entry and a few times I
> don't have a good enough description for it to be accepted ( yeah - OK  -
> sometimes too I just blow the ID)  But that is ok because I end up learning
> how to study a bird better or how to ID a bird correctly the next time. I
> am sorry for putting reviewers to extra work though. I really don't want to
> do this on purpose and so I never complain about either having to submit
> more details or volunteering to pull the record down due to insufficient
> observation. I have the lesser amount  of work to that of the busy eBird
> reviewers ( God bless 'em)
>
> The process however it plays out should be a learning one and enjoyable.
>
> Steve Gast
> Houston TX
>
> > On Mar 20, 2014, at 3:00 PM, Brady Surber <supersurber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > It would be much easier to document flagged sightings if one knew ahead
> of time what would get flagged, to my knowledge there is no way to view a
> list of what the filters hit. Frequently I get flagged for species that
> shouldn't be rare(granted that can only be fixed by more sightings with
> documentation) or that are in unusual numbers. Cases such as this if it
> were possible to know or see a list by region of the filters /with expected
> numbers it would be astoundingly easier for all of us to document things
> better.
> > regards,
> > Brady Surber
> > Vernon, TX
> >
> >> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 08:52:18 -0700
> >> Subject: [texbirds] eBird's position on documentation
> >> From: heraldpetrel@xxxxxxxxx
> >> To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >>
> >> Texbirders
> >> I thought I would chime in here and provide some insight into how eBird
> >> views the process of documenting rarities, and why that is important.
> >> Photos are not required to support a record, but they are an excellent
> >> source of documentation. That said, before digital photography was
> widely
> >> accessible to the public, birders adequately documented birds through
> >> careful description. In some cases, a careful description can be better
> >> than a photo. Photos in the absence of any text description are
> >> problematic. Ideally, a record would have both. eBird editors should
> not be
> >> invalidating records with text descriptions as a rule. On the contrary,
> >> they should be evaluating these to the best of their ability. If that is
> >> not happening, I need to know about it. That said, some people refuse to
> >> provide details, and it can be tiresome for volunteer editors who spend
> >> countless hours trying to keep the database clean for scientific
> purposes
> [...]

Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member
Kingsville, TX

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein