[texbirds] Re: bird calls

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: highlandbirds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 10:04:33 -0500

the regulations quoted do nothing about bothering wildlife, only other
people.

This is a much beaten subject but there has never been a study that shows
there is much or any harm to birds. There are many anecdotes that have been
false and one infamous study that proved that if a bird hears 1 song in a
full day of another bird of the same species its adrenaline goes so high it
is in danger of dying or being unable to feed etc.

This would mean that common birds like american redstarts and yellow
warblers who hear more than 3,000 songs of their species in a day became
extinct in the year they either evolved or were created.

But.

Playing calls near a nesting bird can result in nest loss. The pelican
island tropical kingbirds nest near grackles and have lost several nests in
the last 2 years, probably to grackles. They object to grackles near the
nest and the grackles object back bringing in more grackles. I assume
playing a tape and disturbing the birds would do the same. Workmen resting
under the tree disturbs the birds too with the same consequences.

I know a photographer who or at least used to brag that (s)he plays calls
in the refuges in nesting season as it brings in the nesting birds for
photographs. Apparently, the pictures taken are all in the back of the
individuals closet and are never shown to anyone else. Calls at a
yellowthroat also would bring in grackles, redwings and marsh wrens all who
would like to find unguarded eggs when the yellowthroat scolds the
recording.

But many birders bird by ear and in a small area like boy scout woods or
quintana there is no way not to hear an iphone etc playing a call and
checkoff a bird for the day. But a redstart would not up and migrate out of
Smith Oaks when a call was played anymore than it would up and migrate when
it heard another redstart.
Simple courtesy for others and care for birds would say to never play calls
during the nesting season or where others might go birding.

I did play bewick's wrens calls last winter on one day to try and census
how many wrens were out there compared to what I found just by birding and
pishing out the window. But did not do towhee calls and so only saw both
the odd towhees once during the winter when they were common but not
calling when I went by. And hopefully contributed here to the questions
concerning the size of the wren influx, eastern vs western birds etc.