[texbirds] Re: bird calls

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wbburkett@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 07:56:27 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 6:31 AM, Winnie <wbburkett@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was wondering if bird calls are allowed in national wildlife refuges and
> Texas state parks.

My understanding from volunteering at Anahuac NWR is that there is
some gray area when it comes to national wildlife refuges. Its banned
under harassment of wildlife. The Texas Chenier Plains Complex
(Anahuac, McFaddin, Texas Point, and Moody) have taken the approach
that its always harassment and they allow playback by special use
permit only. For example I get a special use permit to play owl calls
during the CBC for the purpose of the census that day.

My understanding is other refuge managements interpret it on a case by
case basis. If not overdone its allowed in some complexes or refuges.

The problem for me is you can't know what happened there just a few
minutes before you arrived. In a highly accessible area with a known
target bird you just can't know if someone was there 10 minutes ago
playing back a call. I tend to agree with the Texas Chenier Plains
Complex approach.

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX