[texbirds] Re: bird calls

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:26:46 -0500

In my experience it is generally best to assume that playback is prohibited
in wildlife refuges, state and national parks, etc as that is generally the
case in most areas. If you aren't sure then just ask the staff at the
location you are visiting. In the end it comes down to the fact that we as
birders need to respect the birds that we are pursuing and try our best to
not cause harm or disturbance. If you have reason to think that what you
are doing could cause undue stress or harm to the bird you are trying to
see (or potentially cause it to leave the area preventing others from
seeing it) then don't do it. Often times patience can be just as effective
as playing a tape. All of that said, I certainly feel that there are times
and locations where using recordings is perfectly acceptable when it's done
properly.

I also thought I would pass along this write up from David Sibley's website
on the proper use of recordings as it seems to provide a very well thought
out position and gives several good reminders.
http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/04/the-proper-use-of-playback-in-birding/

Good Birding,

John Tharp
Houston, TX