[texbirds] Re: bird calls

  • From: Phil Jeffrey <phil.jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vicki_crutchfield@xxxxxxxxx, wbburkett@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:31:05 -0400

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The one that is relevant for NWRs is:

"To protect wildlife and their habitat and to provide the best
opportunities in wildlife observation and photography, it is important
not to disturb, injure, or damage plants and animals on the refuge.
In fact, it is a prohibited act as stated in 50 CFR 27.51.  This
disturbance includes flushing birds and other wildlife or using
electronic calls (or called “taping”) to lure birds closer for
observation or photography.  Please remember to take only memories and
photographs and leave only footprints."

This was taken from Prime Hook NWR website.  I believe this would be a
prohibition across the entire NWR system, unless the interpretation of
50 CFR 27.51 varied across NWRs.  I find text of this form in a
variety of NWR web pages.

(I think that "flushing birds" in the above text is best read as
"intentionally flushing birds", since inadvertent flushing of birds is
a hopelessly gray area.  Taping is, however, an overt act.  )

Phil Jeffrey
NJ