[texbirds] Tropical Mockingbird - missing back toe nail on right foot

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 15:15:26 +0000

Birds do have wings and fly. Short-eared owls find the Hawaiian Islands often
enough to have established a population there. Rails, often several species
were on just about every oceanic island in the world because they flew there,
often non-migratory species are the root stock. What island in the New World is
not inhabited by a mockingbird of some variety. Where they ship assisted 10,000
or 20,000 years ago?  Why is it so hard to believe that a mockingbird would
wander about. See how many wayward Northern Mockingbirds have turned up all
over the North American Continent. The Gulf of Mexico is not that great of a
barrier that nothing manages to survive its crossing. It's a hop-skip compared
to the Hawaiian Islands or the Galapagos.

The Tropical Mockingbird may just be a normal wayward individual that we just
happened to be seen because there are so many birders and it took up residence
at a birded location instead of a yard a mile away. Sure it could be an escape
from a ship crewman or it could be ship assisted but bird distribution in
general tells us that mockingbirds have been roaming the Gulf of Mexico and the
Caribbean for 10,000 plus years. Is it unusual that we might witness this
normal pattern?

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center