[texbirds] Re: Tropical Mockingbird - missing back toe nail on right foot

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 17:41:50 -0500

It is I guess a matter of "innocent until proven guilty" and I can see
little in the way to over come that in the face of solid documentation now
or ever...Yes we have several species in Texas that some purists will roll
their eyes at but what are we gonna do?...There are two Elaenia records
both from near coast ports that I actually have to swallow hard to get down
(I have seen both on native grounds).  We have an antshrike that is
accepted by the TBRC but not the ABA on what basis, I do not know.  What
becomes of the T. Mocker is anyone's guess....I don't really concern myself
with the ABA being interested primarily only with the TBRC and the AOU, but
that is just me.   Meanwhile a new hummingbird species for the US by T.
Fuller  from the Valley did not make it thru despite photos that I thought
were pretty slam dunk...There are other examples....It is what it is, and
the best that can be done is being done.

Brush

--
Brush Freeman
361-655-7641