[texbirds] Re: Salineno

  • From: Sean Paul Kelley <spkelley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 13:59:36 -0600

I'd really echo what everyone else has said about the so-called "safety"
issue here. I simply don't buy it, that that is the real reason for this
decision. As most of us are aware this is quite possibly the only site in
the Continental US where one can see a Brown Jay. That, to my mind, is
reason enought to keep it open. There has never been any violence at the
location and there hasn't been any violence Salineno either. So, what
possible reason could there be from keeping this site closed?
I think the more people they hear from is critical in this, also in that
some amorphous Homeland Security "fear" just can't be used as an excuse in
matters like this. I've traveled in 55 countries, and only on the US border
is nonsense like this conjured up on a regular basis.

I'd also ask that Land Fund Board Members be lobbied and or emailed
personal, especially to find out who's idea was this decision and to see if
it can be reversed. If any of you on this list are interested in email the
Board members please let me know and I'll do what I can to get you there
emails. The more people involved, even tangentially that see how people are
effected the better. That's how little "D" democracy works.

Sean Paul Kelley
Central Austin