[texbirds] Salineno

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 09:20:15 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
This is a regrettable decision - hopefully they will be able to keep it staffed
during the days.  If there is still a trailer on the site they had best take
steps to secure it if they are now going to be leaving it empty at night.  It
would be a nice place to squat.  Hell, as a birder, I would be darn tempted:)

For my part, I have visited the site well over a dozen times.  I try to get
there at least a half hour before first light.  There is almost always a mist
hanging over the water which slowly clears as dawn arrives.  Birds, heard but
not seen at first, slowly but surely become visible, coursing up and down the
river, as the mist gives way.  In my opinion this is one of the most mystical
experiences a birder can have in south Texas and I cherish the memory of each
visit.  I also cherish the Muscovy Ducks, Hook-billed Kites, and Red-billed
Pigeons I have seen at the site - if one gives the spot enough time, more often
than not, all three species put in an appearance.

That said, I have never had any problems with other folk at the site.  I have
seen folk crossing on several occasions - I ignore them; they ignore me.  While
I don't want to downplay any risks that might exist along the border, I feel
that they are often over-stated.  The best way to keep this site safe for
birders, in my opinion, is to maintain a dependable and steady presence of
birders.  The river is easily crossed just about anywhere and shady people tend
to do shady deeds away from the public's eye.  Avoiding these place because of
over-hyped fears of this, that, or the other becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy
as the site, now untenanted by birders, will become more of a destination for
other activities.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson