[texbirds] Re: Records

  • From: James Barnes <txbarnowl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:39:41 -0600

Hello everyone,
I've been struggling with the same and going through my Dad's old records,
which are notes he wrote in his first edition Texas Peterson Guide.
I found an old record in his guide from Oct. 1967 of a Masked Duck at
Anahuac. Even thou, I was only 7, I have a vivid memory of seeing that duck
with the striped face and the line of others there to see it. It might have
been an ONC field trip, which he was active in.

I also can remember seeing with him, a White-winged Scoter and a Greater
Scaup on a cold rainy day, but all he has written down is Cooling ponds. I
assume it's the old HL&P cooling pond, that is now called Dutton Lake on
the north edge of Trinity Bay. I remember a line of cars, so it must've
been an ONC field trip.

I found in my Dad's book collection, a copy of "Good Birding Trips" from
the Ornithology Group of the ONC, Compiled by Pat Sullivan and Katrina
Ladwig from 1967. Pretty cool.

James Barnes
Missouri City

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM, David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dennis, have you tried searching eBird for these records? I had no
> luck with the Long-tailed Duck but did finds this record of Barrow's
> Goldeneye "Oxcidental Plant near San Jacinto Monument 1992-12-19
>
> Many are doing what you are doing and often this big records are
> already represented in eBird and you can find those dates from eBird
> already.
>
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM, dennis shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Library, but I really would prefer not to dig that deeply.  Does anyone
> > have record of three Long-tailed Ducks (Oldsquaw) seen at the Texas City
> > Dike in the late '60s or early '70s??  Also, does anyone have the date of
> > the Barrow's Goldeneye that was seen in the '90s at the chemical plant
> out
> > near the San Jacinto Monument?
>

> --
> David Sarkozi