[texbirds] Frontera Audubon Birdathon/RGV highlights

  • From: Pat DeWenter <hoocooks4you@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:01:04 -0600

With 4 other members on my team, we saw 125 species on Saturday doing the
Frontera Audubon Birdathon.  I am going to list the highlights of the
various areas we visited.  It was a fun team and we had great weather!
FRONTERA THICKET - Zone-tailed Hawk, Green Kingfisher, 2 flyover Roseate
Spoonbills, flock of Red-crowned Parrots and a flock of Green Parakeets

ESTERO LLANO GRANDE STATE PARK - Cinnamon Teal, 2 Wood  Ducks (drakes),
Mallard (drake), American Bittern, White-faced Ibis, Common Pauraque,
Rufous Hummingbird, Buff-bellied Hummingbird, Green Kingfisher, and Olive
Sparrow.

BOAT RAMP ON HIGHWAY 48 (BAHIA GRANDE) - Black-bellied, Semipalmated and
Wilson's Plovers, 12 Long-billed Curlews, Caspian, Royal and Forster's Terns

SOUTH PADRE ISLAND -  Flammulated Owl, Lincoln's Sparrow, Wilson's Warbler
and Catbird at Convention Center.  Clapper Rail and Sora along Boardwalk

CAMERON COUNTY ROADWAYS - Chihuahuan Ravens (4), Peregrine Falcon on a
water tower, and White-tailed Hawks (2)

HIDALGO COUNTY AREA - Burrowing Owl (residential area), and Yellow-headed
Blackbirds (grain elevators south of Progreso off FM 1015)

Pat DeWenter
Weslaco/Hidalgo County