[texbirds] Valley Nature Center Field Trip to SE Kleberg Co. (02/23/13)

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:16:19 -0600

Yesterday (02/23/13) the Valley Nature Center hosted a Field Trip to the
southeast Kleberg County, the area near Baffin Bay and Laguna Salada. The
trip had 16 participants, and I think it fair to say that a great time was
had by all. With this group of enthusiastic, mutually supportive, very
helpful birders there was little difficulty in finding numerous interesting
birds in an area that, like far too many in South Texas, has been subject to
drought. As a consequence, the number of areas of standing water--the bays
aside--were very few in number, but those with water usefully contributed to
the day's birding in what was mostly typical South Texas coastal brush
country.

I was asked if I would report to TEXBIRDS on this trip, so here is my
report, though I feel sure that I have left off some good birds, and, if so,
I apologize to anyone whose birds might have been missed here but that were
deemed highlights. It was difficult to keep track of what everyone--the vast
majority, traveling in the four other vehicles--had seen. I did not know in
advance that I would be reporting on this trip, so I missed some
opportunities for querying more widely than I actually did. For
many--perhaps all--of us the most exciting bird of the trip was that
regionally quite rare winter visitor, the dramatic and beautiful FERRUGINOUS
HAWK! It perched or, once or twice, sat on substrate in various locales,
usually quite distant, but ultimately obliged everyone by direct overflight,
soaring and repeatedly circling magnificently on those long, lovely, tapered
wings, a light morph that exhibited richly rufous leg feathering that
extended right down to the toes. Several of us obtained photos of this
surprising visitor.

All of our birding in the Baffin Bay area was south of FM-771. It may be of
interest to potential visitors to that area that the bridge across Arana
Creek just north of Kaufer-Hubert Memorial Park was closed due to some major
construction. Our most productive birding on the trip was along CR-2430
(Mesquite Road), a caliche road presently in excellent condition and with
virtually no traffic (other than us) yesterday. We birded it slowly and very
enjoyably from where we joined it from the northbound access road for Hwy.
77 to its T-intersection with FM-2510. We also birded the sandspit area on
the north side of Laguna Salada (see below), as well as looping through (via
FM-2510, FM-1546, and FM-628) some productive birding terrain between there
and Kaufer-Hubert Memorial Park. The best birding in Kaufer-Hubert was, by
far, at the RV park located there, where one may bird the watery
areas--yesterday, we studied the large pond--with prior permission from the
office at the entry point. It was after birding that the tour ended and the
group disbanded. A few of us, though, had lunch at a nearby cafe and then
went back in mid-afternoon, successfully, for additional views and
photographs of the Ferruginous Hawk plus a bonus LONG-BILLED CURLEW whose
warm, reddish hues were outstanding amidst the green of emergent springtime
vegetation.

I will not list all the species found, but will list some highlights as
viewed by our participants. Along CR-2430 (and nearby roads) we found
several raptors: AMERICAN KESTREL, MERLIN, NORTHERN HARRIER (1 attractive
mature male, a so-called "Gray Ghost"), CRESTED CARACARA, and RED-TAILED
HAWK. Flying and foraging SANDHILL CRANES were observed, twice, at least, in
small groups. Sparrow highlights were LARK SPARROW (several), VESPER SPARROW
(several), and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW (several, including some first-winter
birds). Also of interest were BEWICK'S WREN, GREEN JAY, PYRRHULOXIA (1), and
COMMON GROUND DOVE (no count available), but not, seemingly, common there
and perhaps easily lost sight off amongst many MOURNING (mobs), INCA DOVE (a
few), and EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE (often singular, but widespread).
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER (1) was at a small pond near or entry onto CR-2430,
as was SPOTTED SANDPIPER (1).

The sandpit area on Laguna Salada (accessed via FM-2510 and, then, unpaved
CR-1120 to the sandspit), yielded WHITE PELICAN (several), ANHINGA (1),
REDHEAD (est. 18-20), OSPREY (1), and WILLET (1).

The large pond in the RV park at Kaufer-Hubert Park yielded BUFFLEHEAD (2 or
3 males; several females), REDHEAD (1), LESSER SCAUP (est. 20-25), AMERICAN
WIGEON (a few), RUDDY DUCK (1), and NORTHERN SHOVELER (est. 18-20, but I
heard larger estimates). Shorebirds were BLACK-NECKED STILT (several) and
SPOTTED SANDPIPER (1).

The trip to the target area from Raymondville had produced BREWER'S
BLACKBIRD (a few) and SNOW GOOSE (small flock in flight).

PLEASE NOTE: Ferruginous Hawks are less tolerant of human approach than are
a number of other buteo species, so making a slow approach, even in a
vehicle, can be a good idea. Likewise keeping a very respectful distance and
studying this species with optical instruments, particularly with a scope,
can help to avoid disturbance and potentially allow longer study of it.
Drought is here, so this species' food may be hard to find. Respectful
treatment of this species is therefore all the more important.

This trip may be deemed a great success in terms of richness of avian finds,
but it is paramount to bear in mind that these field trips, run by
volunteers on behalf of the Valley Nature Center (VNC), provide funds in
support of bus trips from local schools to the VNC. Education of the young
about nature in natural settings such as the VNC is essential to a future of
appreciation and support of the natural world by these future adults who
will hold the fate of the natural world in their own hands. So, thanks are
due the 16 participants whose donations ($5/participant) for participation
in this field trip helps to get youngsters into a very good place to learn
about nature in the best way, face-to-face with the wonders of the natural
world. Through field-trip participants' helping in this project, they
experienced more than the avian riches and the wonders of nature, they had
the opportunity to have fun while lending a helping hand to the youngsters
who hold our future. Thanks are due each and every participant, and it is
hoped they might be back for more and might bring some friends with them.

Rex Stanford

McAllen, TX