[texbirds] Re: Photo documentation vs. a mob

  • From: "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:50:18 -0500

Tony:

The Jabiru that was in Corpus Christi's Oso Bay in the early 1980s is
probably the rarest Texas bird that was seen by the highest number of
people. Even my non-birder parents saw that bird when they went to Corpus
Christi.  That Jabiru was featured in numerous newspapers and was the
feature of many pieces on a good number of television stations.  Given that,
I don't doubt that national news programs had items on that bird.  That
bird's appearance was a very positive thing for birding in Texas and the
nation.

Given the above, I have been disappointed by the behavior of some of our
cohorts.  Some of those have acted like paparazzi in their quest to get the
ultimate photo of this rare bird or that rare bird.  Others have trampled
rare birds hosts' yards, cut flowers from those hosts' yard, entered state
parks and never paid the entrance fee, etc in the process of antagonizing
land owners.  Such people forget that everything we do in the outdoors
creates an impression with everyone we encounter.  This includes our
behavior during Christmas Bird Counts.  Birders should always try to create
a positive impression with landowners, property supervisors, and the public
in general

Onward!

Steve

Stevan Hawkins