[texbirds] Re: White-fronted Geese??? Flicker

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:29:41 -0500

They are "normal" around now at Anahuac and Smith Point but maybe not
really expected. Back before more geese stayed up north, they came earlier.
Snow geese have become later too. I remember have large flocks back in 1966
on October 2 at Anahuac when all the baby masked ducks were at shoveler
pond at Anahuac. Now snow geese are at least a couple of weeks later.
I actually had birds migrating south in August in the early 1980's at
Warren Lake in far west harris county. One bird dropped out of the flock
and landed on the lake and the others continued south up very high. But
there were a million geese that winter roosting at warren lake due to
drought but the great freeze drove them all out at Christmas. Nothing like
that now.

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> *
>    During my walkabout early this morning I could swear I heard
> White-fronted flying over as crazy as this sounds...I just can not think
> what else they might be unless something domestic.  They were not visible
> due to the cloud cover.  Have any moved into the upper plains yet?    I
> have seen no posts.  I hope I am not going battier than I already am.
> There was a moderate amount of bird movement overhead around dawn.
>   Heard my second flicker of the season.
>
>    a mixed flock down the road contain some Nashville Warblers and other
> little chirps that I could not ID across a fence.
>
>   There is small increase of hummers this morning over yesterday's near
> total absence of them.
>
>    I am sure hoping for a little rain,  Gawd we need it.
> http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/pdfs/tx_dm.pdf
> Brush Freeman
> 503-551-5150 Cell
> http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/