[texbirds] Matagorda County - Mad Island Marsh CBC

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, geoff lebaron <glebaron@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "marilynsitz@xxxxxxxxx" <marilynsitz@xxxxxxxxx>, dale friedrichs <dale.friedrichs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BRIGID BERGER <marybridgidberger@xxxxxxxxx>, <bettymail10@xxxxxxxxx>, <jp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, rich kostecke <rkostecke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 07:44:49 -0600

We conducted our Christmas Bird Count yesterday under very pleasant conditions
with temps from 55 to 75 and a relatively light north wind all day.  The
effects of 2 years of drought were apparent everywhere; Many dead trees and
brush, very few natural wetlands and waterfowl impoundments and just most of
the native landscape being dry and browned out like it was late January rather
than mid December.

We missed over 15 regular occurring species which included Cinnamon Teal, Wild
Turkey, Black Rail, most hummers, Barn Swallow, Black-throated Green Warbler,
Ovenbird, N. Waterthrush, E. Towhee, Fox Sparrow, all bunttings and
Yellow-headed Blackbird.

However, we found some very nice birds!  These were Long-tailed Duck,
Red-necked Grebe, Magnificent Frigatebird, Purple Gallinule, Rough-legged Hawk,
Wilson's Plover, Pectoral Sandpiper, Lesser Black-backed Gull, jaeger, Lesser
Nighthawk, Hairy Woodpecker, Brown-crested Flycatcher, E. Kingbird,
Yellow-throated Vireo, Tennessee Warbler, W. Tanager, Henslow's Sparrow and
Lesser Goldfinch.

We finished with 233 species reported at the countdown dinner held at the
Wadsworth Community Center.

Many thanks to all of the birders, landowners, sponsors, boat operators, and
Matagorda County Community for another Great CBC in our quest to remain Number
One in the Nation.

Brent Ortego
Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
Victoria, TX