[texbirds] Re: American Kestrels nesting in Tarrant County as well

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: schueler@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 22:30:39 -0500

When I visited the park near Conroe where the Red-cockaded Woodpeckers are
early last summer, I observed what appeared to be a pair of kestrels on
territory. My recollection is that I posted my observation to Texbirds at the
time and was informed that the pair had nested there previously, perhaps for
more than 1 year. I think that a lot of range maps are going to be revised as
birders make more and more use of venues such as this to report bird sightings
and behavior. As another example, Hutton's Vireo appears to be much more
widespread and in more varied habitats than shows in the field guides at
present. Some of you will recall that Don Shaeszler and I recorded the first
Guadalupe County record at Warbler Woods, but they almost turned into trash
birds there over the next several months and there was at least 1 nesting
attempt in the parking area.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632