[techtalk] Re: Upgrade options

  • From: Andrew Davidson <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:45:46 +0000

Paul Ferguson wrote:

Mmm my son was thinking about a DFI board as part of an upgrade.
I always thought they were a bit flash with the UV paint and all that
but not that stable - I guess thats a thing of the past now then ?

It's as stable as the Asus nF3 I had for a few weeks. Unfortunately, the Asus only provides a maximum of 2.7v on the RAM slots, and my old Mushkin RAM really needs 2.8v to run at it's 2-5-2-2 timings. At 2.7v I was way back at something mad like 11-15-11-10 or something.

The DFI can put out up to 3.5v on the DIMMs which is probably a little excessive. :)

Quite a bit quicker than the P4 it replaced, and I havn't even had a chance to overclock yet. :)

So the DFI is a good overclocker ?

I've not had time to try, but I've heard good things. There are certainly more than a fair share of tweaks available. 2 pages of BIOS scrren devoted to memory and CPU timings, most of which I havn't a clue about. :)

A friend of mine had a Lanparty nF2 board which was pulling 2.6GHz from a Barton 2500+ using water cooling. Bus speed was something above 230MHz which is pretty good for a nF2.

Then again, my old i865PE based Epox was good to 250MHz FSB (1GHz FSB). :)

Andrew