[techtalk] Re: FAT32 or NTFS on XP pro: WAS > Re: Disk errors in Event Viewer IBM Drives

  • From: Tim Seifert <sir_tim_seifert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Thomas Hurst <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 22:27:18 +0930

_Replying to a message_

By:  Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@xxxxxxxxx>
To:  Bashy <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On:  Saturday, May 29, 2004, 11:14:18 AM
Re:  [techtalk] Re: FAT32 or NTFS on XP pro: WAS  > Re: Disk errors in Event
Viewer IBM Drives

Hi Thomas,

>> NTFS has more security.  You can't give different permissions for file
>> access for different people on FAT32.  It's also supposed to be more
>> robust.

> Supposed to be?  Try cold rebooting a system running NTFS a few times
> and see if you can make chkdsk whinge at you.. I guarantee it'll be
> harder than a FAT based system :)

I'm not prepared to stick my neck on the block and say something computer
related *is* robust.  I've a friend with NTFS on his machines (Win2000 and
WinXP), and he manages to hose it up from time to time.

>> If you also want to run an older version of Windows, one that can't
>> read NTFS,

> This too is something you should have a very good reason for; eww! :)

Personally, I'd rather avoid Windows, completely.  ;-)  But then there are
some people who have a need for some Win98 PC about the place for a
special task.

I've dabbled with dual booting, but it's a pain.  I settled for dedicated
a machine to Linux, and another is nearly always Windows, but I do a few
dual boot experiments with it.  Though the lack of interoperability
between the different systems on the PC, and the time to swap between
them, makes it a complete pain.

> Also if you're planning on running Linux or a BSD or so, be aware that
> anything but read-only NTFS support isn't really recommended unless you
> like data loss.

I wonder how long it'll be before we get hard drives that act as a file
server?

Rather than sit a file server (a dedicated computer with drives) on the
shelf that doesn't care what other systems use it for storage, have all of
that functionality inside the hard drive (you store files on it, the drive
is the only thing that cares how it works - you could plug it into
anything with the same connector, and work on it with no differences in
operation).

--
Bye,
Tim (from Modbury, near Adelaide, South Australia).

...You can stop reading now...