[TechAssist] Sanyo 31" DS31590 dead, HOT shorted. other???

  • From: Philip Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 10:55:58 -0400

Sanyo DS31590 (31590-02 chassis)Came in dead.
Customer said no storm at time.Tried to turn on.Must have failed in the
off mode.
Only damage I found was shorted HOT Q402 (2SD1879). I removed HOT  and
in place, my 60 watt light bulb from collector of HOT to ground (emitter
ckt) for a load.Plugged in set to see standby voltages.Immediately the
brightness of my 60W bulb started cycling on/off, averaging about 46VDC
in standby.
In standby mode with the 60W bulb removed (and no HOT as well) I had a
stable +81.5VDC.
I reinstalled my bulb to HOT collector and  pushed power, and set
clicked on with bright light and a stable +126.5V for about 5 seconds
and set clicks off.Push power,same 5 seconds then off again.
I then replaced the HOT with my new sub HOT  D1555 (also  an NTE 2331
equiv., not exact, but I had a bunch on hand). Stand by volts on
collector, +81.5 VDC.
Powered unit up with good pix, regulation and sound. My HOT runs barley
warm.
Close inspection found all good solder in the HV areas,including H drive
transformer, tho I reflowed all anyway with solder to be sure.
I am wondering if there is any histories on this model where just the
hot goes without any other defects?
Phil Bader
--
Philip Bader