[TechAssist] Re: RCA/Proscan Proj.TV, model PS60682....Dead, but chirping

  • From: "Damon" <DAMON101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:02:03 -0500

Ok, don't worry about the wall sparks, you're charging up some pretty big
caps nowadays. On this unit you may have a shorted HI Voltage splitter which
is accessable from the front. pull the speaker grille off (it's held on with
SUPER Velcro) by grasping on the right or left side of grille and pull back
firmly, it should pop out. Don't yank with brute force, a gentle jerk should
suffice.
remove the convergence board, sometimes located behind a plastic
grille/cover. It hinges upward after removing the screws on top. Generally
you will find the HV splitter located between the left-most and center crt,
just trace the anode wire from the crt to the rectangular box - that's your
splitter.
There's a plastic tab that locks the HV wires into the splitter, push it
back just enough to clear the ridge on the plastic ferrule. The one that you
want to remove is the IHVT anode wire, just tuck it under the hole in the
frame located under the crts. Now fire it up, it should sizzle and not shut
down, if it does order a new HV splitter (isn't the part number 250064??
it's
25 something 064...... that I do know.
If you want to check other things 1st, go straight to the Horiz output and
check for shorted output. If ok, plug in power and measure 143 Volts at
horiz output with set in standby (no power command). If any of these are bad
then follow this:

Bad 143 volts? Adjust orange pot located by U4101 in SMPS section, still
bad? replace both electrolytic caps located on left side of U4101 (pin 1
side) also 47uf cap located caddy- corner to U4101. (U101 on board, on right
side of board near SMPS heatsink)

Shorted Horiz output? See the 3 plastic rectangular caps in front of  the
horiz output? Well that thin skinny one that's located between the horiz out
and the big fat plastic cap (0.47 or 0.56 uf) sometimes loses capacitance
and kills the horiz output. Remove it and if the long side of the cap is not
perfectly flat, it's dying.

Your symptoms suggest a bad hv splitter.

Damon Brunger
damon101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Telrad Electronic Services
Ft Wayne, IN 46815