[TechAssist] Re: RCA Flyback 237506(fixed!)

  • From: Jim Shupe <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:13:20 -0700 (PDT)

John...

  This is a newer foil pattern that doesn't have the
jumper... I've never had one inadvertently come off
with my solder-sucking anyhow, but I've read the sheet
that comes with the part.

  I guess I just had a brain fart last week and missed
the most elemental possibility(which you pegged). The
last shorted CRT spark-gap short I had was on a fairly
new Zenith Chroma Color II, so I guess it drifted out
of my head as a possibility.

  I checked with my ohmmeter when I got to the shop
this morning and couldn't detect the short, but when I
lifted the 2.2K series resistor to the G2 land, I got
screen supply(I should have done that last week- I
know better!). Once I removed the socket, I could see
the burn on the board, on the socket at G2 and at
ground.

   Anyway the set's fixed, I feel properly chagrined,
and the customer's happy.

   Thanks for the tip, John, and thanks to everyone
else who took the time to respond.

  Jim Shupe, CET
  Lloyd's TV
  Yucca Valley, CA