[TechAssist] Re: RCA Flyback 237506(fixed!)

  • From: Jim Shupe <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 18:04:13 -0700 (PDT)

Phillip..

  The chassis and model are really not important, as
the problem was really a generic type...that is, not
brand, model, or chassis-specific in nature.

  The chassis in question was CTC197, I believe.

  At any rate; I correctly diagnosed the original
fault as a shorted IHVT, but failed to properly
isolate and locate the cause of missing screen supply
with the replacement IHVT, which was a shorting
spark-gap in the CRT socket. I wrongly assumed the new
part was defective. Reading too many stories about
counterfiet parts, I guess.

  My point about the "generic" nature of the fault is
that every CRT-equipped television uses the same
approach to interface the tube to the chassis;
therefore the design, and hence the failure, is not
unique to any manufacturer, chassis, or model.

  Jim Shupe, CET
  Lloyd's TV
  Yucca Valley, CA