[TechAssist] Re: RCA CTC187

  • From: "C&W Electronics" <c_w_electronics@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:49:40 -0600

Very common problem of defective ground connections in tuner, tuner shield,
cpu shield(CTC175 thru 187). Moving the chassis will correct the symptom
temporarly, but it won't correct the PROBLEM. If you will tap on the tuner
or the cpu shield, the symptom will probably return.

Resoldering the above parts should correct the problem. If temp was the
problem, it would return when the set warmed up. Bad solder connections will
not always respond. Only when the resistance increases at the connections
will the symptom show again. Tap on the tuner frame and see if you get any
flicker in the picture, if you do, then the tuner needs attention.

Paul W
C&W Electronics

From: "Shaun" <ssroark@xxxxxxxx>
To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TechAssist] RCA CTC187
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:18:37 -0700

Today this tv came in and when first turned on it had very poor vertical
deflection. The bottom half of the picture looks ok but the top is folding
over and over scanning. Looks like a defective cap, I sprayed freeze mist on
the vertical section near the vertical ic and 3 large caps right there and
it came back on good pix. Now the set looks fine no matter what I do hot or
cold or soldering nothing makes it go bad again. I am worried that if i give
it back it will be back in a day or two with a mad customer. Does anyone
have any tips on this problem? I am thinking the freeze mist fixed it for
now but will probably fail again.

Shaun

SUBJECT field to the address above.

SUBJECT field to the address above.