[TechAssist] Re: How to repair broken split aluminum volume control shafts?

  • From: MDileo0000@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:45:21 EST

I used some JB Weld for the same problem. Make a paper spacer placed in the
slot to keep the broken piece in alignment and hold it together using a clothes
pin.
Dominic DiLeo
Atlantic TV
Freeport, Maine

In a message dated 1/28/2005 3:58:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
gary@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I knew I shouldn't have tried it but I did anyways.

I have an old Pioneer stereo receiver model SA-1010 from the 70's which
I am working at restoring for a customer. It has a bunch of knobs on the
front panel for bass, treble, volume, etc. The shafts on these controls
are the split aluminum ones with the knerled end to fit the knob. Two of
these shafts are bent where the split starts, out to the end of the
shaft, causing the knob to wobble as it is rotated.

I decided I would attempt to straighten these shafts by heating the spot
where the split starts and then gently prying the half of shaft end that
was bent. The first one went not too bad, but when I worked on the
second shaft, I guess my heat wasn't hot enough and the #$@&* piece of
the shaft snapped off. The other half is still attached fine.

This control is not a simple pot that I can replace, but a propietary
gang switch (It is the 10khz treble control). I'm sure someone else must
have run into this problem before. I was thinking of using JB Weld to
glue the piece back on the shaft and also glueing in a permanent spacer
in the slit, and take an cable F connector ring and crimp it around the
shaft behind where the knob fits to add support. Will it last? Any other
ideas? I Also have a electronic problem with this machine I might have
to post to a separate message.

Thanks for any help.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics