[TechAssist] Re: Dick Smith ESR meter battery life: false "low batt"?

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:47:57 -0600

Phil,

Probably NOT a battery issue.  If the lead resistance is greater than 1.0
ohms when you short the leads together, the unit will turn off when you
push the power button.  This is by design.  Try cleaning the input jacks
or just rotate the banana plugs to increase conductance.  I had that
problem all the time until I replaced the test leads with a better set.

The unit does have a low battery indicator, but I forget what it is.
Been well over a year since I replaced the battery in unit.  When I did,
the old one was under 8 volts.

HTH,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32563
850-934-8324 (Voice), 850-932-0819 (fax)

----