[TechAssist] Re: Dick Smith ESR meter battery life: false "low batt"?

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:02:53 -0500

You could build a one-shot timer (say 5 minutes or so) so that when you
push the power button, the power will stay on for that period of time
only. I've been wanting to do that to my Capacitor Wizard because if the
power switch is accidently left on, it goes through a set of batteries
really fast.

I was thinking of designing the circuit using a CMOS 7555 timer IC which
can drive a small relay coil directly off it's pin 3 output. The power
source to the cap meter can be fed through the relay contacts.
Therefore, when you press the power-on switch the one-shot timer goes
into effect and turns the relay on which supplies power to the cap meter
until the timer period runs out and it automatically shuts the meter off.

The only hitch I can see is, how much drain will the timer circuit cause
on the battery in standby? Thats why I would use the CMOS timer instead
of the regular 555, but it still may be a problem. Off to the drawing board.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984