[TechAssist] Re: Computer question: unnecessary files

  • From: becyn <becyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:07:54 -0500

The only way temp files will slow the system performance is if the drive
is MAXED out.
The cpu  will constantly swap between ram and the drive if it has no
more swap space to open up.
Most programs clean up their temp files. Some might  leave the file,but
no contents (o bytes).
Itt's an artifact of overcrowing causing the system to reduce the
available swap (which is a function of total
available disk space). The extra  operations to manage an inadequate
swap area  will rob cpu time in that special
case. WHy would anyone want to deal with that in these days of 100 gig
hard drives?
99% of slow unning computers have spybots, viruses, or worthless
applications running in background.
I saw one that had a stupid proram that changed the desktop picture
every 10 minutes or  so , and would run little clips
from the x-files! Talk about the waste of CPU time!!!!

Jim McVey
McVey Alltronix
327 Broadway
Newburgh N.Y. 12550