[TechAssist] Re: Computer question: unnecessary files

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ed Gaidies <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:30:07 -0800

Bill,

On of the very important things that a lot of people miss, is running
Checkdisk (similar to Scandisk). This is one of the main causes of
Windows slowing down. And of course a few hundred Mbs of temp don't
help either.  In RUN type: chkdsk /f (and press Enter), then when the
black box comes up type Y when prompted (and Enter). Checkdisk will
run the next time you boot up.

With XP it's I always disable all of the special effects (except for
the last 3 in the list). This alone helps a bunch (and still looks
the same as before with most windows).

Contact me privately if you want to know which programs to disable in
Startup. Need to run antispyware too to remove parasites.

Bil Green
PC 1000
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
760-924-1000