[tdsoc] Re: license of our projects

  • From: Alessio Parzian <parzio90@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tdsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 23:14:11 +0100

As said by @Lorenzo:

the last step we need to accomplish is to decide which type of opensource
> license our projects will use. we need something which allows
> everyone to use / modify our code for both free and commercial open/closed
> source projects, if and only if they indicate us as the source of the work.

In the case all requirements need to be respected Apache2 is the most
appropriate. In my last email I said I completely agree with @Davide who
said just that. But, I've actually appreciated what he told about LGPL. I
believe this project indirectly endorses the world of free software and try
to advantage it the most as possible.

@Federico asked me why choosing LGPL rather than GPL; if I could decide I
definitely opted for GPL just because I'm a supporter of copy-left concept.
Unfortunately classic GPL is too far from our requirements, therefore
following this philosophy, LGPLv2.1 (quite similar to GPLv2) may fit.

As said by @Davide:

I find LGPL a good compromise between permissive and copyleft licences.

I would like to report the salient tips of GPLv2.1 license [
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html]:

We protect your rights with a two-step method: (1) we copyright the
> [...]
> free program. We wish to make sure that a company cannot effectively
> restrict the users of a free program by obtaining a restrictive license
> from a patent holder. Therefore, we insist that any patent license obtained
> for a version of the library must be consistent with the full freedom of
> use specified in this license.
>
> Most GNU software, including some libraries, is covered by the ordinary
> GNU General Public License. This license, the GNU Lesser General Public
> License, applies to certain designated libraries, and is quite different
> from the ordinary General Public License. We use this license for certain
> libraries in order to permit linking those libraries into non-free programs.
>
> When a program is linked with a library, whether statically or using a
> shared library, the combination of the two is legally speaking a combined
> work, a derivative of the original library. The ordinary General Public
> License therefore permits such linking only if the entire combination fits
> its criteria of freedom. The Lesser General Public License permits more lax
> criteria for linking other code with the library.
>
> We call this license the "Lesser" General Public License because it does
> Less to protect the user's freedom than the ordinary General Public
> License. It also provides other free software developers Less of an
> advantage over competing non-free programs. These disadvantages are the
> reason we use the ordinary General Public License for many libraries.
> However, the Lesser license provides advantages in certain special
> circumstances.
>
> For example, on rare occasions, there may be a special need to encourage
> the widest possible use of a certain library, so that it becomes a de-facto
> standard. To achieve this, non-free programs must be allowed to use the
> library. A more frequent case is that a free library does the same job as
> widely used non-free libraries. In this case, there is little to gain by
> limiting the free library to free software only, so we use the Lesser
> General Public License.
>
> In other cases, permission to use a particular library in non-free
> programs enables a greater number of people to use a large body of free
> software. For example, permission to use the GNU C Library in non-free
> programs enables many more people to use the whole GNU operating system, as
> well as its variant, the GNU/Linux operating system.
>
> Although the Lesser General Public License is Less protective of the
> users' freedom, it does ensure that the user of a program that is linked
> with the Library has the freedom and the wherewithal to run that program
> using a modified version of the Library.
>
> The precise terms and conditions for copying, distribution and
> modification follow. Pay close attention to the difference between a "work
> based on the library" and a "work that uses the library". The former
> contains code derived from the library, whereas the latter must be combined

Futhermore I add a detail actually interesting. In the case someone will
modify our work and will redistribute it, anyone will receive the modified
work must be informed that is not the original one.

In conclusion I remark that apache2 is suitable but BSD license is simpler
and even better given those requirements. In any case I definitely prefer
LGPL due to a question of philosophy in advantage of free software.

--
"We must combine the toughness of the serpent and the softness of the dove,
a tough mind and a tender heart.”