[tdsoc] license of our projects

  • From: Lorenzo Nicolodi <lorenzo.nicolodi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tdsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 13:27:14 +0100

dear all,

sorry for the long time without any email but, behind the scene, we were
working on creating the policies for the dark side.

the last step we need to accomplish is to decide which type of opensource
license our projects will use. we need something which allows
everyone to use / modify our code for both free and commercial open/closed
source projects, if and only if they indicate us as the source of the work.

from my point of view, the most appropriated licenses would be:

   - lgpl
   - gplv3
   - apache2

all of them, if i am right, allow the use of the code as described above
but they differs in how the resulting, modified code can be used.

i am not really experienced in opensource project licensing so i would ask
to you what do you think about the proposed licenses and, if needed, to
propose different licenses, explaining why you propose them.

as soon as we have defined it, i will send to you the policies of the dark
side for a review and a request of comments and, after that, they will be
published on the site and we will finally start to work! i know that it
requires us to be patient, but having clear and well defined policies is
simply a must for a project like the dark side.

as the last step, i am proud to announce that the
CLUSIT<http://www.clusit.it/>is really interested in our project and
is interested in a "patrocinio" (i
think that "sponsorship" is not the right translation for it, but it is
something like that... alex, how do you translate it in english?) of the
dark side!!! this is awesome!!! of course, i will keep you updated about
how this sponsorship evolves!

thanks a lot for your attention and your support!

have a nice weekend!

--
Lorenzo Nicolodi