[tcb] Re: Question about painting my 23 Window

  • From: "Denis" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:35:15 -0500

What color is the crude on the bottom of my bus? Kinda grease/mud/dirt/roadkill
color.
            From: Eric Woodall <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
            To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Date: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 11:13 AM

            Every vw that I've ever owned has had a black undercoating.
            Sammie/Will, what's the verdict?

            James Dwan wrote:
                    Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning towards single
stage and no undercoating but Jay was very keen on coating it.
                    So when I se black belly pans on 23 Windows that is
incorrect in general or was there a cutoff year when they painted them black
instead of grey?

                    --- On Wed, 8/19/09, sammie smith

                      From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Date: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 10:10 AM

                            You can make clear coat look better easier but
original is single stage.  And single stage is easier to repair problems.  I
use PPG Concept acrylic urethane.

                            Wheel wells are painted body color.  Undercarriage
and belly pans are painted grey primer.  I would just use a good quality grey
paint acrylic urethane.

                            Don't undercoat unless it is already undercoated.
In which case it is almost impossible to remove the old undercoat.

                            --- On Wed, 8/19/09, James Dwan

                              From: James Dwan <james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
                              Subject: [tcb] Question about painting my 23
Window
                              To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              Date: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 9:05 AM

                                The Bus has been blasted and body work is in
progress.
                                I am trying to decide if I should go single
stage or clear coat. What are the pros and cons?
                                Also, Jay, is suggesting that I use an
undercoat for the wheel wells, splash pans and belly pans.

                                My concern is that if anything like a rock hits
the Bus with clear coat on it, it would be more difficult to touch it up than
if it were single stage.

                                Also the undercoating, even if mixed with paint
wouldn't even resemble stock. I plan on driving it around the lake and to all
the shows but not too much more than that.
                                And lastly, should I paint the wheel wells and
belly pans black? Or were they red?
                                I am searching The Samba for pics but it's slow
going.
                                Thanks!