[tcb] Re: Question about painting my 23 Window

  • From: "Will" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 17:42:43 -0400

The carpets match the drapes.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
Eric Woodall wrote:

I guess all of mine have just been very dirty.  :-)

sammie smith wrote:

        True on all type I's that I have ever seen.  Not true on
split busses.  Grey and looks like primer.

--- On Wed, 8/19/09, Eric Woodall &lt;eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Eric Woodall &lt;eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [tcb] Re: Question about painting my 23 Window

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 11:13 AM

          Every vw that I've ever owned has had
a black undercoating.

Sammie/Will, what's the verdict?

James Dwan wrote:

                  Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning towards single
stage and no undercoating but Jay was very keen on coating it.
                  So when I se black belly pans on 23 Windows that
is incorrect in general or was there a cutoff year when they painted
them black instead of grey?

--- On Wed, 8/19/09, sammie smith &lt;bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: sammie smith &lt;bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 10:10 AM

                          You can make clear coat look better
easier but original is single stage.  And single stage is easier to
repair problems.  I use PPG Concept acrylic urethane.

                          Wheel wells are painted body color.
Undercarriage and belly pans are painted grey primer.  I would just use
a good quality grey paint acrylic urethane.

                          Don't undercoat unless it is already
undercoated.  In which case it is almost impossible to remove the old
undercoat.

--- On Wed, 8/19/09, James Dwan &lt;james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>

From: James Dwan &lt;james_dwan_2000@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [tcb] Question about painting my 23 Window

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 9:05 AM

                                    The Bus has
been blasted and body work is in progress.
                                    I am trying
to decide if I should go single stage or clear coat. What are the pros
and cons?
                                    Also, Jay,
is suggesting that I use an undercoat for the wheel wells, splash pans
and belly pans.

                                    My concern
is that if anything like a rock hits the Bus with clear coat on it, it
would be more difficult to touch it up than if it were single stage.

                                    Also the
undercoating, even if mixed with paint wouldn't even resemble stock. I
plan on driving it around the lake and to all the shows but not too
much more than that.
                                    And lastly,
should I paint the wheel wells and belly pans black? Or were they red?
                                    I am
searching The Samba for pics but it's slow going.
                                    Thanks!