[tcb] Re: Photos from California Cruise.

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 04:20:42 -0700 (PDT)

I think we started with 21.  But Scott Dempster widely publicized the itinerary
for this thing as to where we will be when.  So a lot of people join for parts
of the cruise and then drop out as the tour progresses.  At times we had as
many as 40+ cars.  The ones that made the entire cruise got a small poster
indicating that we had made the entire 1,000 miles.  I think there were 12 cars
that made the whole cruise.

Most interesting cruisers were a couple and their two very young children
(3 year old and baby) who were from New Zealand.  They had flown to Alaska, dug
an old bay window out of storage, drove from Alaska to Portland and made the
entire cruise.  They obviously won the long distance award.  As to an example
of someone joining the cruise:  On Tuesday we were in Eureka, CA with a stop at
a very nice VW shop/garage (Bill's VW).  A couple joined us there with a very
nice original Thing that they had been working on in the shop preparing it for
the trip.  There was also a "kid" probably late 20s who had rolled into Bill's
shop the day before in a "Jersey looker" 59 double door panel.
The kid appeared to have just come in from somewhere way out in left field.  So
far out that it was difficult to follow one of his conversations.  The bus
looked as though it was left over in a northern CA field from somewhere in the
60s.  (Will send a photo
 later).  His engine had cratered and Bill had put in a used replacement engine
for him and the kid had stored his old engine in the middle of the back of
the bus, right in front of the plywood bunk he had built.  The floor was so
rusty that I suspected the spare engine was going to fall through.  Rockers and
the first 6" of the floor were gone on both sides so the cargo doors would only
latch at the top.

Long story short:  we leave the shop to continue the cruise into the redwood
forest.  At the first left turn the kid made the spare engine did a big slide,
hit the cargo doors on the right, knocking them open and the engine went
flipping out onto the pavement.  They got it reloaded and that very tired,
rusty, jersey looker bus made the entire cruise from Eureka to Ventura,
probably about 650 miles.  I didn't think it would make it out of Eureka.

Most of the other participants cars were nice well maintained VWs and to my
knowledge there were no breakdowns or major mechanical problems for anyone the
entire trip.