[tcb] Re: I found my hat

  • From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:02:02 -0600

Whew! I didn't mean to start anything when I suggested that your mechanic would have a heart attack if you used less than premium fuel. However, the "regular" now is no where near the octane rating that we had in leaded fuel. The original VW engine was built to run on "regular" in the 50s, which if memory serves was around 90+ octane. It obviously depends on how your engine is "built." A dead stock engine with normal timing probably will run great on "regular." Stock compression, depending on engine is low. Example: The last of the 36 hp engines the compression was 6.6:1. Most engines now built by mechanics to a reasonable compression ratio is probably somewhere between 7.5 and 8.5. Ask your mechanic what he recommends for your engine after he has built it. Lyle Cherry told me premium on the engine he built for my Baja with a compression of 8.5:1. Some other mechanics tell all of their customers to run only premium fuel in all of the VW aircooled engines they build. I could name the mechanics but won't (but they are up there in the category of Lyle Cherry in my opinion). Also, I don't trust the fuel you pump out of any pump now. Occasionally I stop at a station and start to pump fuel and it has what I call the "turpentine" smell. Smells just like turpentine and is the same odor you get out of a fuel tank in a salvage yard where gas has been sitting in the tank for a few years. When this happens I stop pumping and go to another station. You also have the problem of the mixtures they are putting in the fuels for EPA regs that varies by location. For example: In California they are running a 7% ethanol blend. Given all of the variables and with the fuel mileage the VW gets, I'm gonna spend the little bit extra and put in premium fuel. It costs $1,000 to $2,000 to build a good1600 long block. And if you don't know what it costs to build an original 36 or 40 hp 1192cc, then you are in for a shock if you have to have one built. Anyone priced a set of new 77mm jugs lately? I'm not risking an engine for pennies saved on fuel.
Sammie

At 04:05 PM 12/7/2005, you wrote:

YO Each load of fuel is a different octane , + or minus 5 Terry