[tcb] Re: Buses on the Beach '06

  • From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:46:33 -0600

Now wait a minute: We changed the facts from a Type II to a type I, and a very early Type I. I have tons of experience in all types of Type Is and the fuel mileage with a "stock" engine, particularly in the 36/40 horse variety will normally run anywhere from the low 30s to the mid 40s depending on speed driven and driving conditions. I once won an economy run (still have the trophy somewhere) in 1968 in a 65 bug equipped with a 1600 single port engine running an 019 distributor, extractor exhaust, Zenith 32 NDIX carb on an Empi intake manifold. Required average speed for the run was 40 mph and covered some 200 miles in and around north of Dallas. The mileage: 72 mpg. We were drafting 18 wheelers, coasting at every opportunity with the engine turned off, running so much pressure in the Michelin X tires I'm surprised that they didn't blow up, throttle pump disconnected on the carb, main jets so lean in the carb it would hardly run and the generator disconnected to prevent it from charging. Also driving in the summer time with all windows rolled up and the wind wings closed. Probably used some other sneaky techniques that I can't recall. That was almost 40 years ago.

Always thought I could take an oval window with a bone stock 36 and tune it to easily get 50 mpg on the open road driving at a steady 40-50 mpg.

At 09:27 AM 2/28/2006, you wrote:

3 years ago when Tim Drachenburg and I went to the Nac show in his 51 type 1, He was getting 42 miles per gallon. But we were only going 55 mph.

<mailto:Sammiesmith@xxxxxxxxx>Sammiesmith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Peter:
Most of the owners' manuals (from memory) say 18-20. On a good day, no
head wind and casual driving, yeah maybe 20. The old 36/40s in average
driving most of the time have a hard time making 20.

At 09:26 PM 2/27/2006, you wrote:
>Wow, I used to get way better MPGs than that with my 23 window. I drove
>it daily for 5 1/2 years and got 20 mpg with all my normal
>driving. Whenever I would take a highway trip, I would get about 22 mpg.
>Peter

&

gt; > > I was really enjoying