[tabi] Re: new electricity pricing plan (optional)

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:52:29 -0500

Joe,

I can only say you've really got just about everything screwed up in this
reply of yours.

first, yes, you can opt out at any time; that question, and all the others
you say aren't answered, are indeed answered on the web site provided in the
original email.  This question was actually answered in the email, since I
copied some of the questions from the site into the first email.

next, nobody said anything about just having a smart meter would lower your
bill.  that wasn't claimed, because they are a standard electric meter in
every way, except that they can be read remotely over the internet.  they do
not give false readings, and they have not caused anyone's bill to go up
unjustly.  there has been no misreading by city workers.

Yes, it's possible if you go on this plan for you to have a higher bill (if
you use all your electricity during the peak daytime hours); you do have to
read and understand it before doing something like signing up, or shooting
off a reply full of misinformation.

No, having residential customers switch their usage patterns because of this
program will not change the peak load times; that's because peak load is
largely a function of commercial use (that's why holidays are given to you
at the cheaper rate, just like night time usage).

The city does provide all of these answers on their web site, and time of
day pricing for electricity is something which has been in common use across
the country for 20 years I'd guess.

this is a way for people who have very limited amounts of money to save a
little more; you should not try and stop them from doing so by spouting a
lot of conspiracy theory, or anti-government rhetoric which isn't backed up
with any facts.  It's also a very environmentally friendly thing to do, as
it keeps us from having to build new power plants.