[sugpro] Re: Hello Sugpro

  • From: "Michael Monteith" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "michael_r_monteith@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:49:20 -0800

Andrej,
 I thought I had read somewhere that there is a way to separate out
the anti-caking part.  Might of course be in one of my books that's packed
for the moved and won't be here until like the first week of March.  Uggh
But maybe someone here has surely been through that feat before.

Michael

 Subject: [sugpro] Re: Hello Sugpro
 To: "sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Tuesday, February 10, 2015, 4:30 PM

 Ah, OK
 that makes it clearer. I thought that you have a 70cm BRB
 GPS version.No, I
 don't use any clamping. I know that clamping should
 improve density but I haven't yet come to try this. I
 typically get grains to about 97-97,5% of ideal density.
 I did
 quite some experimentation with different grades of
 potassium nitrate. My goal was to develop a mixing and
 casting technique that would allow me to use a fertilizer
 grade potassium nitrate which is very cheap and readily
 available. I've tried many different grades, particle
 sizes, pH values, defoamers, surfactants, vacuum
 degasing, you name it I've done it. In the end I just
 couldn't get the same high density propellant as I get
 when I use a food grade potassium nitrate without anticaking
 agent. I've read that a lot of people use fertilizer
 grade KN with good success but it wasn't working for me.
 Surfactans and defoamers helped to some degree but still
 the density was lower than with a food grade KN. It seems
 that anticaking agents used in this potassium nitrate
 fertilizers have a significant efect on wetting abilities of
 molten dextrose. as they make the KN particle surface more
 hydrofobic. All these problems went away when I switched
 back to a potassium nitrate without anticaking agent, which
 is twice the price of fertilizer grade, but gives very
 good results. So far I
 didn't have any problems with disbonding even in large
 grains. The material I use for the inhibitor is not a
 paper, but a gasket material called Tesnit BA-202, which is
 made of organic fibers and nitrile rubber. I cut the
 material to correct size to fit snugly in the steel tubular
 holder which is then heated in an oven to 150°C as well as
 base and a coring rod. Just before pouring, the mould is
 pulled from the oven and the propellant is cast. Here is the
 link to this material website: http://donit.eu/material/ba-202/ I
 use 0,5mm thickness and the factory that makes it is
 conveniently located just a few kilometers from my home
 :)
 Andrej

   From: Richard Nakka
 <richard.rocketry@xxxxxxxxx>