[sugpro] Re: Hello Sugpro

  • From: "Andrej Vrbec" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "andre09091978@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sugpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 19:06:55 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Richard
It's nice to hear from you again. You are right, the propellant is plain KNDX.
I've also experimented with other sugars (sorbitol, erythritol and mannitol)
but in the end I decided in favor of dextrose.Bigredbee GPS was a real game
changer at least for me as I don't have large open spaces to fly from. I fly
from a small clearing in the middle of the dense forest and so far I haven't
lost a rocket yet. BRB GPS is very easy to set up. First you must download a
configuration software from BRB website. When you connect the GPS to the
computer you can make settings like how often do you want it to report location
and altitude, your call sign, output power, etc. On the ground you will need
some kind of radio setup that can decode incoming APRS data packets sent from
BRB GPS. There are a lot of options but mostly it comes down to how much are
you willing to spend. Based on my experience I would say that the best option
for rocket use on the field would be an all-in-one radio such as a Kenwood
TH-D72 or a Yaesu VX-8GR (recently discontinued) or Yaesu FT1DR. These radios
are pricey but very easy to carry around when you are chasing you rocket as you
don't have to have several pieces connected with cables as would be the case
with an ordinary radio connected to a TNC (terminal node controler such as
Byonics TinyTrak4) and a separate battery. When the radio receives the data
packet from BRB GPS it decodes it and displays a current altitude, latitude and
longitude. When the rocket lands you take the last known coordinates and punch
them into a handheld GPS receiver or if you have one of the above mentioned
radios it will display a distance and direction to the landing site.