[ssug-malappuram] Re: [MES-FSUG] A central place for resources

  • From: ck raju <ck.thrissur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mes-fsug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 15:18:25 +0530

On 11 September 2011 14:57, Sajjad Anwar <sajjadkm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Exactly! There is no point in duplicating the data and hosting everything on
> a central repository. Several issues like bandwidth, space etc needs to be
> managed. If we can talk to the different institutions like NIT-C and get FTP
> access, that would be the best thing. A catalog of what is being
> added/stored can be created easily :)

Not exactly a catalog, Sajjad. The whole substance that would have
been inside a central repository will reside in multiple user
machines. After this, all the files would be indexed and the list of
pathnames to files and filenames will be made available to any user
searching for content. So effectively it scales up in proportion to
the number of users and the space these users have earmarked for
sharing. If an institution have 1000 machines (not college machines,
the students' own machines that latch on to the intranet) which are
running DC++ and if each student shares 50GB of space (from the
student's private machine) containing some useful educational
materials that we were discussing, then it means that for any user
there will be something like 50,000 GB or more of share-able resources
- all this without the need for any central server. Its like the
content-part in Free Software, the more people share, the net benefit
will be some n-order higher than any individual's contribution - which
can be used by everyone.

Since the concept of controlling authority gets demolished here,
people with orthodox mindset will find it hard to digest. Some of them
will feel like being in a second class unreserved general compartment,
where no one bothers about the status or privileges of the other and
where hierarchy doesn't function. Academic institutions are supposed
to train people in getting rid of all sorts of orthodoxies, but little
can be done if influential people inside such institutions themselves
happen to be stauch supporters of orthodox practices.

--
CK Raju

Our IRC channel #mes-fsug at irc.freenode.net. Webpage for GNULabs @ MESCE is
at http://gnulabs.org/mesce/