[sib-access] Re: recording notes with Flexi time

  • From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:32:08 -0800

Joel,

Your points are well-spoken.

Yes, everyone learns differently. However the Sib 5 Reference Manual is a
very well-written document, and if I or other list members sense that
someone is not reading it just because they want us to provide all the
answers, well then we do get a bit sensitive. Our time in the early years
was well spent with trial-and-error along with looking at the documentation
to figure out why things did or did not work as expected. The end result are
a group of users who are able to use Sibelius fairly well and in fact in
some cases, are making a living at using Sibelius. WE tend to believe that
the best way to learn is to try for yourself and to figure out answers by
research. The old "give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish" adage at work
here.

Also I've posted to our listers a collection of a few dozen short files with
tips and tricks to help us use Sibelius more efficiently in our own way.
These are important to us because in many of the descriptions in the Sib 5
Reference Manual there are steps that relate to using a mouse, or pulling on
a rectangle corner, or dragging a staff, which we cannot do in the usual
manner.

So I tend to point to the resources available to someone rather than give
them all the steps to solve their immediate problem,in the hopes that they
open the book and learn.

Latitude E6520, JAWS 14,  and Windows 7 Professional 32-bit