[SI-LIST] Re: reference plane cutout under DC blocking capacitor pads

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bala89si@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:32:31 -0800

Balaji,

Considering the return path, simple analysis of cross-sections with and
without cutout and with and without the additional reference plane in a
field solver can explain the role of the distant planes and were the
currents are. In fact, such analysis of the cross-sections may be the
starting point of the capacitor or connector pad design. First task may be
to maintain the target characteristic impedance in all cross-sections along
the signal propagation path. Something similar to done at
www.simberian.com/AppNotes/Shlepnev_DesignInsights_FRSI_Oct3_2013.pdf - see
from slide 25. The next task would be the 3D analysis of the complete
transition and minimization of the reflection and possible coupling to
traces in adjacent layers or to parallel plane cavity. Note, that the
cut-outs in the return path may provide strong coupling to the cavity below
and such cavity must be confined (localized) to avoid SI and EMI problems as
demonstrated on slides 26-28 at the FRSI presentation referenced above.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
3030 S Torrey Pines Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89146, USA
Office +1-702-876-2882; Fax +1-702-482-7903
Cell +1-206-409-2368; Virtual +1-408-627-7706
Skype: shlepnev

www.simberian.com
Simbeor - Accurate, Fast, Easy and Affordable Electromagnetic Signal
Integrity Software
2010 and 2011 DesignVision Award Winner