[SI-LIST] Re: pcb stackup

  • From: "mkhusid" <mkhusid@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <humps@xxxxxxx>,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:37:42 -0400

I second Matt here. I think a thin core which allows for strong coupling
between power and ground will help much with the power noise and will
alleviate the need for the second nearby ground plane.

Also, are the grounds on top and bottom layers required? In my
experience, those grounds never become real planes because of components
on both sides of the board. As a result, the planes are segmented into
smaller chunks and may create more EMI hazards than what they were
supposed to solve.

Mike

Michael Khusid
Ansoft Corporation